Friday, July 6, 2007

Power-Ups in the MasterChief-Beta

IMO, takes a bit getting used to really recognize the benefit of this. On the other hand, if a player were to get really good at handling these power-ups, I can see them being prized in a team setting. In the long-run, this feature adds a lot of value to this franchise.
I had a bit of trouble getting used to the "power-up" weapons and the X button mechanism for all about three seconds. Impressive as it looks, the Bubble Shield only gives you a short breather for long-range combat - completely useless for melee action. The Shield Drainer is a really nice way to deplete your enemy's shields if you want to even out the odds a bit. Throw it down and even if you get blown up, you set your buddy up the hill a really nice position to frag 2 or 3 reds at the same time.
My favorite power-up of all though is the trip mine. I cannot express how much joy I felt when I would wait for a warthog with three baddies in it to come hurtling toward me, offering myself as a sacrifice for the good of the team and throwing down that trip mine. KABOOM! Oh so satisfying! Be careful with this though, timing is everything with this power-up. Another great application of the trip mine is when playing CTF or bombs. Just rig it up in the flag/detonation area, alert your teammates about the active bomb(very important) and watch an impatient kid just totally wipe!
Here's hoping for more Bungie!

No comments: